Seiyu no Wa is a series of seiyuu-interest “relay” interviews with voice actors, published semi-regularly by the anime department of DaVinci news.
Each interviewee answers 50 questions, and then passes the baton by nominating a colleague in the industry, and passing on their questions. The column started in 2013 and since produced 30 interviews with women, and 10 interviews with men.
#30 in the series features Hara Sayuri, who provides the voice Honda Mio in The IDOLM@STER Cindrerella Girls.
01．Please tell us about when you became a voice actor.
I started after participating in my agency’s newcomer audition (81 Audition). I originally liked drama acting, and started this job thinking “it’s pretty interesting that you can act just with your voice.”
02．What was your anime debut?
I played Specula Ex Machina in Tower of Druaga, the Sword of URUK.
03．Are there any characters that have left a strong impression on you so far?
Amamiya Rizumu, from Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream was my first regular main character. We’ve grown a lot together.
04．What similarities do you share with the characters you voice right now?
By right now you mean IDOLMASTER Cinderella Girls’ Honda Mio? Sometimes a work’s character can acquire traits of the cast, so I’m taking care not to let my weird points leak to her (laugh).
05．Please name an impressive scene you’ve done so far
A scene with hardship and sadness that required me to express my voice with all my heart. I think it really added a layer of depth to that character so I put a lot of effort into it.
06．Any memorable horror stories from a recording session?
I freeze in fear when it seems like I’m making noise during other people’s turns to record.
07．Are there any fellow actors who see as rivals or role models?
There are a lot of people I respect, but I’m not aiming for any one person in particular. Rather than copy them I think it’s good to be myself.
08．What would you be doing if you weren’t a voice actor.
I wonder about that…I’d like to just be employee at a company
09．What’s the hardest thing about being a voice actor?
When you’re so sick that you can’t do the voice you want.
10．What’s the best thing about being a voice actor?
When somebody praises me after a good performance.
11. Do you like singing? What’s the strongest impression you have of singing so far?
Putting aside whether I’m any good at it (laugh), singing is fun. There’s a different kind of enjoyment from having to express a character through singing compared to speech.
During recording for a certain song, I wasn’t able to finish recording on the scheduled day because of trying to establish my character. Even now I still think about that a lot.
12. Are there any memorable contributions to radios you host?
There’s the content, but even a lot of radio nicknames are so funny that I laugh at them.
13. What’s your biggest concern while acting?
I focus my hardest to try and draw out the maximum appeal of the character.
14. What do you think is your strongest role?
I guess the energetic roles. Also I like roles as small animals.
15. What’s your goal or dream as a voice actor?
To deliver a worthy performance that lets the audience really enjoy and accept the character and material
16. What advice would you give to people trying to become voice actor?
Take great care in the things and situations you like.
17. Besides your own works, what other anime do you often watch?
I watch gag anime and other comedic fun anime in general. Just off the top of my head, Magical Circle Guru Guru was one I really liked that I recorded and re-watched many times.
18. From the question above, is there any role in that anime you want to play, or admire?
At that time, I hadn’t fully realized I wanted to be a voice actor yet, but I really liked the voices of the hero and Kukuri.
19. From a viewer’s perspective, what kind of anime do you like?
Usually gag and amusing anime. Overall, anime that has a sense of speed.
20. What kind of child were you?
I was a type who could focus on a single thing, and tirelessly remain entertained just playing by myself.
21. What TV programs do you often watch?
If I have time, I try to watch “Shoten” and “Here Comes Darwin. New Legend of Creatures” every week.
22. What is your favorite book?
The books I like change pretty frequently so it’s hard to just pick one. If pressed, I’d say Sone Keisuke’s “Hana.” I got into horror genre thanks to this, so it’s one I recommend to a lot of people.
23. What is your favorite video game?
THE FAMILY RESTAURANT for PS. Once I start, my day will go by in an instant, so it’s a dangerous when I’m short on time (laugh)
24. What is your favorite movie?
Disney’s “The Little Mermaid.” I watched this over and over as a child.
25. What is your favorite song?
“Asu e no Tobira” by I WiSH
26. What’s your personal motto?
10 people 10 types (different strokes/different folks)
27. What kind of sports are you involved in?
None whatsoever. I get so little exercise it’s terrible.
28. What do you usually sing at Karaoke?
Asu e no Tobira. Also I cheer on when other people are singing.
29. What foods do you like?
Soy-sauce based side dishes that go well with rice. Meat, fish, or veggies are all fine. If it can be called food I probably like it.
30. What foods don’t you like.
Gingko, coriander. And I’m generally not good with “ethnic” tasting foods.
31. What stores do you often visit?
If I’m free, I’m usually in a bookstore.
32. Do you like any snacks?
Soy sauce flavored rice crackers, and seaweed flavored potato chips, and I guess salty stuff. If we’re talking sweets, probably sweet potato fries, sweet potato, and other sweet potato related stuff.
33. Do you drink alcohol? If so, what kind do you like?
I don’t drink at all.
34. What did you do on your most recent day off?
I drew a 4-koma comic strip for work. It was fun.
35. What would you do if you had a whole week off?
That would be rare for me, so I’d like to travel somewhere.
36. Are there any hobbies you’ve gotten into recently?
I look up books I’ve read on various review and discussion sites and enjoy comparing other peoples’ opinions with my own.
37. Do you have any official qualifications?
I have a standard driver’s license and a 2-kyuu rating in English.
38. What do you hope to accomplish in the next 10 years.
I want to go abroad.
39. What’s your type of guy?
Umm, I guess a nice guy.
40. What body part of the opposite sex do you notice?
Parts? I like a guy who can look good in glasses.
41. What’s the most expensive thing you’ve bought recently?
A passport. It cost more than I expected.
42. What do you want most right now?
A new notebook. If I don’t buy it soon…
43. What’s the one thing you would bring with you to a deserted island?
The person who would save me.
44. If you suddenly had 1,000,000 yen how would you spend it?
I want a fancy computer.
45. Do you have a habitual thing you do every day?
I noticed I eat 1 cough drop per day.
46. Please give a word to your fans.
Thank you for all your support. I’m very happy that you’ve started liking me. Thank you so much.
47. Do you remember your last meeting with Mikami Shiori?
I do! But it was a super private setting so I can’t write about it here (laugh)
48. A question from Takamori Natsumi: what’s a good way to refresh yourself?
Petting a soft fluffy animal. Mofumofu~. Also, going eat ramen with me.
49. Which other actors do you get along well with?
I’m friends with all the girls from IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls. And I’m still on good terms with everyone from OToGi8. Also, Kakuma Ai and I are always saying we should go eat but keep missing each other, so we should definitely go somewhere together next time.
50. Please give a question for the next voice actor (Aoki Ruriko).
Even though you’re always showing off your literary ability, please teach me a good trick to compose an interesting sentence.
For those interested, Seiyuuplus+ has also translated quite a few of the other interviews to English.